Most of us use baking soda for something specific like a recipe or for cleaning or to remove fridge odors and the rest of the box goes to the trash. However, there are a few medical uses that you can use baking soda for so, don’t throw away that baking soda box until you read through. Baking soda helps to alkaline your body by turning acids in your body into CO2. Research that advocates alkalizing your body to help resist cancer suggest using baking soda. I am not a researcher so I would leave that part out but you will be amazed by the number of other remedies you can use it for:
- Sunburn remedy: Jump into the tub, add half a cup of baking soda to room-temperature bathwater, then sit back, relax and let the baking soda help.
- Splinter removal: Add a tablespoon to a glass of water. Soak the affected area twice a day in the solution.
- Mosquito bites itch relief: Make a paste by adding water little by little to a cup of baking soda and mixing until you get that paste texture. Apply the paste to the insect bite to help relieve the itching. You can also use starch with water which works great as well.
- Deodorant: We all read about the claims that some deodorants cause cancer. Here is a natural alternative. Mix a pinch of baking soda in a bowl of water and try that instead of the deodorant.
- Teeth whitener: Crush a ripe strawberry with half a teaspoon of baking soda. Rub your teeth with the mixture and leave it for five minutes then brush your teeth. You can also put some baking soda on the inside of a banana peel and rub your teeth with it, let it sit for five minutes then brush your teeth. Don’t do this more than once a week. Doing this more often could damage your teeth enamel.
- Exfoliator: Make a paste from 3 units of baking soda combined with one unit water. You can use this exfoliator for your face or body.
- Detox bath: Mix baking soda with apple cider for and add them to your bathtub for a spa-like experience. It will take away body aches and pains too. Also remember, baking soda is used for cleaning so after you are done you will get a cleaner tub and drain, as a bonus! Or if you want you can make foot soak by adding three tablespoons of baking soda to a tub of warm water for a great energizing foot soak!
- Ulcer pain: If you suffer from ulcer pain baking soda could help by neutralizing the acids in your stomach. Try mixing 1-2 teaspoons of water and drink the solution after eating something. When mixing baking soda with acids, a chemical reaction takes place producing carbon dioxide. Meaning that the baking soda would turn the acids in your stomach into gasses. Ask your doctor!
- Gout pain relief: Gout is the result of acid accumulation in the joints. Consuming baking powder helps lowering acid concentration in the blood which lowers the acid around the joints.
- Kidney and Urinary System health: Studies show that consuming baking soda helps to heal from urinary tract infections. Removing acids from your system kills acid- loving bacteria. If you have UTI you can mix one tablespoon of baking soda with water and drink it on an empty stomach. Drink a lot of water during the rest of the day to flush your system. Also if you suffer from acidic based kidney stones… well you guessed it. You can watch a video below from Dr. Vickam Chauhuan about how to prevent renal failure with baking soda.
These are remedies and uses of baking soda that we were able to find to present to you. If you know other baking soda uses, please let us know what we missed on our facebook page!